Tuesday, April 05, 2005

phone solicitors

the worse thing about phone solicitors is not that they interrupt me during dinner, when playing with my dog, when playing with my wife, or when watching the simpsons.

the worse thing about phone solicitors is that i no longer feel guilty when abruptly hanging up on people on the telephone. "hello, is this mr richard?" "NO!!!" CLICK

if we might entertain angels unaware sometime, is it possible that i might have rudely and abruptly hung up on an angel? i doubt it -- but part of me really feels terrible when contemplating how some poor person feels when they go home at the end of their shift -- after receiving a barrage of angry rejections from those of us who answered the phone. i feel especially terrible when i think how awful your life must be, how desperate your prospects, if you feel compelled to actually work as a phone solicitor.

so it is with compassion for these people that i urge you to go to www.donotcall.gov and register your home phone and cell phone. not only do you want to protect yourself from unwanted calls, but you want to protect yourself from finding it easier and easier to treat some people rudely and abruptly, and you want to protect them from receiving your ire.

or maybe they only need protection from mine.

the Lord be with you,

1 Comments:

At 12:09 PM , Blogger C. Wingate said...

I give everyone the absolute minimal courtesy of listening long enough to determine that I'm not interested, say, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested", and if they keep going, "Sorry, not interested, goodbye." That's when I hang up. Most solicitors have learned, it appears, to say "Thank you" at the first "not interested". Around dinner time, caller ID takes over and we simply don't answer if we get mysterious 800 numbers calling us.

I guess my feeling is that I don't get to vent my low-quality moral outrage at soliciting on the people on the phone. It's that ol' second great commandment thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home