Monday, June 06, 2005

Sabbatical visits:
Church of the Apostles, Seattle, WA

What was your first impression as you entered?

An internet cafe located in inner city area on Seattle’s funky Fremont Ave transforms into a coffee house atmosphere for the present gathering of Church of the Apostles. Although they are excited about their move to new digs later this summer, for the moment they warmly welcomed into the crowded room.

People sat where they could, on plastic folding chairs or sofas, with cups of coffee or bottled water, chatting amiably or petting the church’s greeter: a friendly pug. My initial thought about the inappropriateness of a dog in church evaporated when I realized I was unconsciously but quite happily petting him while talking with people. I tried imagining a little dog greeting newcomers in a more typical church, and couldn’t – and realized the dog was a more effective greeter than are the humans at many congregations I’ve visited. A music professor from a nearby university sought me out, engaging me in conversation, happy to answer my questions, thrilled about what God was doing here, and open about both strengths and weaknesses. I found myself liking the setting and the people very much, and looked forward to what would happen.

How long was the service?

It started ten minutes late, which seemed to bother nobody at all, seemed fitting for the setting and location, and we guessed was probably normal. Time passed quickly. I was a little sorry that it was over an hour and a half later.

How was the service structured?

Although there were many creative adaptations, the order and structure of the service was clearly the order for Holy Eucharist, recognizable to Lutherans and Episcopalians. The prayers of the people offered opportunities for liturgical responses, as well as opportunities for people to write poems or prayers, light candles, pray aloud or silently, or draw pictures.

What did you like best?

The music, the scripture readings, the sermon, the liturgy, the creative expressions, the people, the intentional community. Oh, ok, may I like the dog best.

What did you dislike?

Congregants were asked to break into small groups to discuss four questions. This may work well for some people, but it almost never works well for me. It always feels silly, inauthentic and a waste of time. I can’t wait for them to get over. The other people in my group of visitors felt the same.

What were its greatest strengths that you’d like to import?

It was enormously evident that this growing congregation was an open community, inviting and welcoming to newcomers, yet intentionally a community. It felt palpably obvious that those gathered were not a constituency, an audience, nor consumers seeking a product or service.

If you were looking for a church, would this be it?

I was told there are only two churches in this particular area of Seattle,: a declining Baptist church and this growing new church start. If I lived in that community, Church of the Apostles would definitely be the church I were looking for. If I lived outside of that community, I would definitely consider coming to the inner city in order to be part of this. If I were a priest of a traditional church in Seattle rather than in Maryland, I would consider adding Saturday evenings at Church of the Apostles to the set of spiritual disciplines that I practice.

What did you learn from this visit?

You can have dogs in church. (just kidding.) Seriously: It was clear that this shape of this mission has much to do with the shape of the community in which it found itself as much as from anything else. As much as enjoyed the gathering, it belongs to the funky Fremont inner city of Seattle. It would take a different shape and tone if started elsewhere.

Is there anything else you want to say?

The vision and direction of this new start rightly reflects the leadership of the founding pastor, yet it is obvious that this is a team effort, and a community of collaborators is being developed.

This is my opinion; I could be wrong.

The Lord be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home