Saturday, September 10, 2005

Come to the Party

In August of 2002 I began a 3-year contract as priest-in-charge at St Marks. That contract concluded in August 2005.

This Sunday we celebrate the next chapter in the life of this congregation, and in mine. The Bishop of Maryland will institute me as the next rector of St Marks. I find that most of us refer to this as my becoming "permanent" rector -- a laughable label given the shortness and unpredicatabilty of life. I'm aware that I'm just one in a long line of rectors reaching back a century and half, and extending into the future for only God knows how long. And God isn't telling. But it's pretty clear that "permanent" doesn't mean "permanent." At best, since I'm 53, it could be a good, long time, relative to the life of flies or even to most pastors. Yet only a brief moment relative to so many other things!

But in any case, we are looking to the future. Pray for this congregation and for me as we seek to discover, discern, and respond together to God's calling for us in this place in the coming years. May we truly become a spiritual community, for the good of the world.

And if you're around on Sunday, come to the party!!

1 Comments:

At 9:05 AM , Blogger Emily said...

Congratulations!

Blessings on this new time in your ministry.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home