Saturday, January 27, 2007

Conventional Church

A year or two ago, when visiting my mother, I asked her about an old black and white photograph hanging on the wall. It pictured our family standing in front of our home, apparently on our way to someplace special.

After trying unsuccessfully to remember the occasion, I finally gave up and asked, “Mom? When was this? Where were we going?” “Oh,” she said, “That was Easter Sunday. We were going to church.”

Church? Our family went to church????

Church was definitely not a part of the family experience that I remember much. It was not meaningful to our lives. I was vaguely aware of some negative feelings about church, and think that both my Mom and Dad had had some bad experiences, perhaps toxic, when they were growing up — experiences that repelled them from church. They didn’t talk about their experiences, but it was obvious that “church” was neither important nor attractive to our family. It was certainly not part of the fabric of our family identity.

Even so, it’s obvious that for some reason, my parents kept trying. I do remember a period of 6 months when my parents gave it another go, another valiant attempt. I was in fourth grade, and don’t remember much about it. The conventional church of those days failed to inspire us to faith in a God both accessible and central. Faith was not a significant or meaning part of our lives until much later.

Today, that so many people’s stories about how conventional church means nothing to them does not surprise me at all. Their stories fit my own experience, along with my family and most of my friends.

Of course, perhaps “church” has always been inspiring to you all your life, and you could never imagine life without it. But frankly, that’s unlikely.

For so many in our culture, more every year, church is either disappointing or irrelevant. Meanwhile, some churches are installing large screen TV’s and planning parties for Super Bowl Sunday. (Not a bad idea, by the way. I love it!) But if conventional churches draw a crowd for a Super Bowl party, while diminishing in their ability to inspire faith, then it’s time for “a searching and fearless moral inventory.”

Our world has deep needs untouched by conventional church. The world needs something deeper, more alive, and more challenging than conventional churches offer. Our world needs the living God. And we’re here for no other reason than that need.

The Lord be with you!

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM , Blogger C. Wingate said...

Do I go to a conventional church? When I started, I didn't think so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home