Friday, December 02, 2005

So… how come Jesus hasn’t come back, yet?

Sometimes, parish rectors feel like they spend all their time explaining why the parish isn’t doing something yet. “Why don’t we have a nursery yet?” “Why don’t we have a Saturday night service yet?” “Why haven’t we fixed that raspy microphone yet?” “Why haven’t we replaced the organ yet?” Now that it’s Advent, I’m waiting for someone to ask, “So… how come Jesus hasn’t come back, yet?”

But at other times, parish rectors find their heads spinning at how fast things happen. My head is spinning a lot these days. Remember when we didn’t have a playground or pew cushions? Or when the print was so tiny in our pew Bibles we couldn’t read them? Or when our summer Habitat mission wasn’t one of the most amazing outreach efforts in our Diocese?

These, and many other things around St Marks are the results of your efforts just in the last few years. The clergy didn’t initiate, plan, create or accomplish any of these: you did.

Which is exactly how it is supposed to be. You are the church. Clergy exist only to help you be the church. The parish is not here to encourage the ministry of the clergy; just the opposite. The clergy are here to encourage the ministry of the parish.

The longer I am at St Marks, the more often I find myself amazed at what you are doing. And it is so exciting!

Just in the past two months people have said, “I’ll edit the newsletter.” “I’ll take on accounts payable.” “I’ll manage the kitchen.” “I’ll help figure out the sound system.” “Could we do the children’s sermon next week?” “We’ll handle getting the newsletter mailed.” “I’ll handle the altar flowers.” “I’ll coordinate funerals and weddings.” Do you know how exciting it is to see so many parishioners step forward? What fun!

Are there dozens of holes yet to be filled? Oh yes. But before pointing to the half empty glass, look how fast the glass is filling!

What if we run out of tasks? What if the word “yet” disappears altogether?

Hmmmm. Maybe one of you could look into this Advent question for us?

The Lord be with you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home