Monday, May 22, 2006

NT Wright: Simply Christian

My good friend Tim Stevenson (if you're ever in the Dallas area, you really must go hear him preach) tried repeadtedly but unsuccessfully some years ago to get me to start reading N.T. Wright. I resisted, for after all, my "must read immediately" book list already exceeds my life expectancy. So I added Wright to my "I really should read this if I get a chance" book list -- which is the same as "I'll never read this in my whole life" book list.

So what tricky Tim did was to set several of Wright's books on the night stand next to the guest bed when I visited him a few years ago. What a dastardly deed. Naturally, by the end of the visit, I couldn't resist ordering several of Wright's volumes.

Not everybody like's reading Wright. He doesn't defend any established views, but rather digs for the truth, regardless of where it lies. He is not a fan of modern or post-modern sensibilities, but freely uncovers and criticizes the untested presumptions of cultural assumptions. Although he explains the complex, he is faithful to the complexity rather than oversimplying what cannot be simplified. He is consistent. And he isn't willing to refrain from a conclusion because it isn't popular. I don't know if he ever watched the X-Files, but he clearly believes "the truth is out there," and relentlessly digs to uncover it.

Frankly, I love his stuff -- and have never found another writer who so frequently and consistently changes my mind about my former conclusions.

Last week a group of us from St Marks drove down to the National Cathedral to hear N.T. Wright speak. Actually, the talk was part of a book tour set up by the publisher of Simply Christian, and he basically summarized that book.

The talk was fascinating and lively. Wright is a much better speaker than he is a writer. Happily, the National Cathedral video-taped the talk, and you can listen to it online. To see and hear Wright's talk, click here

The Lord be with you,

1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM , Blogger Rick+ said...

Thanks, Anthony.

I think that Lewis and Wright are doing the same sort of apologetic: defining Christianity within a particular context for those who live in that context.

Lewis wrote for one culture and historic setting, and Wright writes for a different culture and historic setting. In that sense they are comparable. Both are responding to questions that the other context wasn't asking very much.

I think Lewis wrote with more wit and style about really only one question: can we, in a secular, mechanistic worldview, take the idea of a living, personal God seriously? Wright writes are more comprehensively because he must deal with many more questions: how can we think about all these challenges and questions in a way that makes sense in a post-modern world?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home