Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Just one of the Reasons why God wants Babies in Church

Part way through the 9 am worship service I hear static coming from the speaker over on the starboard side of the nave. (That's the right side if you're sitting in a pew in the main section. And don't give me any grief for saying "starboard." It's a NAVE for crying out loud.) krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh

So I glance over toward the speaker and listen carefully, and yes, there it is again: static. Not constant. Just intermittent. krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh ... silence ... silence ... krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh

After about the 6th time I hear it, I casually walk over to the lecturn and turn off the microphone.

A few minutes later the static happens again. krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh

So I turn off MY microphone, and talk louder.

A few minutes later the static happens again. krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh

I shake my head in frustration, turn to the Deacon, and say, "Would you please turn off your mic?" She does.

A few minutes later the static happens again. krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh

I say to the congregation, "I'm SOOOO sorry. That's it, I'm turning off the whole system." Members of the congregation glance at each other as though I'm crazy. I walk into the sacristry to shut down the whole system. I return, and say, "Well, if I hear it now, I'm going to really worried."

Somebody says, "We're already worried, because we don't know what you're talking about."

I say, "You haven't heard the static?"

People say, "No... we're all wondering what YOU are hearing... and if you're ok."

I say, "Really??"

And then as I'm walking up to the communion table to prepare for communion, I hear it again: krritchhhh krritchhhhhhhhh

The Deacon whispers in my ear, "It's a baby rattle in the 3rd pew."

The Lord be with you,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home